Six months ago I made a decision that was going to change my life. Six months ago I took a leap of faith and made the decision that it was time to try something new. Six months ago I stepped out of my comfort zone. Six months ago I moved to Toronto.
Wow, I can’t believe I’ve already been here for half of a year. It seems like yesterday I was sitting in my kitchen trying to convince my Dad that I am a grownup and that Toronto is a ‘safe place’.
Over the past six months I’ve learnt a lot about the city, but I’ve also learnt a lot about myself.
10 things I’ve learnt in the last six months:
- Always try the sketchy looking restaurants; the food there is likely amazing. But always check with DineSafe first.
- Act on a whim, nothing new and exciting ever happened living life on a strict schedule.
- Don’t take the TTC if you don’t have to; getting lost on adventures allows you to discover new things.
- Speaking of the TTC, always have tokens in your change purse; they’re cheaper in bulk and you’ll often need a ride when you have no loonies or toonies.
- NEVER make eye contact with the homeless and/or preachers at Dundas Square; you will never be able to shake them.
- Kensington might look like a complete dump, but there are lots of hidden treasures.
- Never go east of Jarvis alone, even if it’s still light out.
- Make a serious effort to stay in and have dinner with your roommate; with crazy schedules these are key to catch up with each other. It helps to have a BBQ and a wicked patio.
- Almost all twenty-somethings living in the city are living on a budget, but doing what they need to get by while still having fun.
- Cleaning and cooking sucks, but I’m slowly starting to get good at it.
Moving downtown has really been a new experience for me. Sometimes I ponder if I made the right decision; maybe I should move home, save money and eventually get my own place. But then I remember my old suburbia life versus my new and exciting downtown life; I definitely don’t want to play tradsies on that.
Here’s to the next six months!