Ladies, Movember is officially over!! While it has been quite entertaining to watch the mo’s grow over the past 30 days, it will be nice to finally see some clean-shaven faces around the office again.
Congratulations to everyone who raised money in support of men’s health! According to Movember Canada, 173,077 Canadian’s raised more than $27 million in their Movember initiatives and approximately $97 million was raised worldwide. Canada was the top fundraising country which is something to be extremely proud of – pat yourself on the back Canucks!
As mentioned in “Movember: What you need to Mo,” I helped celebrate the end of Movember by attending Toronto’s gala on Friday night at Kool Haus.
The event can more or less be summarized by this promotional video:
(Courtesy of Movember)
Over the past month, men everywhere have been growing out the little bits of stubble up above their upper lip to raise both money and awareness for men’s health; this phenomena is known as Movember.
Movember began ten years ago in Melbourne, Australia with 30 friends growing out their mos. Over the past decade, Movember has expanded across the world; it first reached Canada in 2007 and there are now over 1.1 million participants across the world helping to raise money.
Movember is very twenty-something oriented. Each year, the majority of my twenty-something guy friends get involved and I feel like it becomes earlier and earlier each year that they start talking about it. There are also a variety of events which take place across the city to celebrate the end of Movember; women are excited for the impending clean faces and men are excited to show off their Mo-sterpiece.
Here are three awesome Movember events taking place in the next week throughout the city:
- Toronto Gala Parté – Friday, November 29th @ Kool Haus – This is the OFFICIAL Movember Finale event in Toronto. Thousands will come together to show off their mo and attempt to win a variety of very cool titles. Tickets are only $20, but some Mo-bro’s receive complimentary tickets for various fundraising milestones.
- Movember Challenge Karaoke – Thursday, November 28th @ Winchester Kitchen & Bar – At the 4th annual event, a $5 donation allows your to rock out to your favourite tune or $20 will allow for a group performance! Follow the performances on Twitter via #MoChaKaTO.
- eHealth Barber’s Shaving Auction – Thursday, November 28th @ The Duke of Somerset – Every lady’s dream at the end of the month is to watch the mo’s come off! Watch it happen, while continuing to raise money!
My friends and I are headed to the Toronto Gala Parté next Friday with hopes of winning the ‘Ultimate Mo’ title. I can’t share with you our theme yet, but I promise to blog about it after.
If you are attending one of the above, or perhaps a different party, please let me know.
Don’t forget there is still time to donate towards Movember’s cause!! If you haven’t already done so and maybe don’t know of a fundraising mo, donate to my favourite moustache in town – my cousin Rob who fundraisers in honour of his dad (my uncle).
A mo in pro(gress)
For more about this history of Movember, visit: http://ca.movember.com/about
For more Toronto Movember events, visit: http://ca.movember.com/events/
This past Friday (October, 18th) my girlfriends and I headed to Boobyball, a fun and trendy event targeting twenty-somethings and in support of young women battling breast cancer.
This was my first year attending this event, and it certainly will not be my last. The “What to Wear” page states “Go Greek. Go geek. Go campus chic.” My girlfriends and I decided to go Greek; and although some went geek and most went chic, we totally rocked our togas with pride!
Lisa & I in our togas, pre-Boobyball
The event itself was nothing short of spectacular (and this coming from someone whose job includes event planning). Highlights include:
- $30 Uber Car Service – my place to Sound Academy was $24, so basically we got a free ride in a luxurious SUV;
- Nail station, hair station and make-up station, each strategically placed next to one of 3 photo booths (dressed up girls LOVE photos);
- Open bar including Yellow Tail pink champagne and a variety of Beam brands, balanced with a variety of yummy apps throughout the evening;
- Cool music and entertainment; and
- Amazing loot bag – including another Uber voucher, various other gift cards, gym passes, food samples and an assortment of other fabulous treats!!
I truly wish there were more amazing events like this in Toronto – targeted towards the young working female, while affordable. If you know of any upcoming that I should check out, please, please, please let me know.
Friends & I at Booby U!
For more information, visit: http://www.boobyball.com/toronto/#
Next up: find out why and how I played trampoline dodgeball the evening following Boobyball
Posted in TO Events
- Tagged Beam, Boobyball, BoobyU, breast cancer, events, fundraiser, toga, Toronto, Toronto events, TwentiesTO, Uber, Yellow Tail
My apologies for being MIA the past few weeks – I’ve been away dealing with a personal matter, but do not fear!! Look forward to awesome upcoming posts for twenty-somethings featuring:
- Booby U, Toga Style;
- Jumpin’ Jumpin’ Birthdays – playing like a kid, but not being one; and
Hope everyone is having an excellent Sunday Funday 🙂 Let me know if you’ve checked out anything awesome over the weekend.
Posted in Cool Places, TO Events, TO Living
- Tagged Birthdays, Booby U, Boobyball, Catching up, Life Update, Stay Tuned, Sunday Funday, Toronto, TwentiesTO